This is a great opportunity to join a growing company in an entry level position. If you are someone with construction experience, great math and writing skills or if you’re a graduate from BCIT construction program (or equivalent) looking for your first position, this could be the ideal role for you!
The Junior Estimator will primarily assist the Bid Manager by conducting quantity take-offs, conceptual estimating and providing support in budgets and cost analyses. This role will analyze project plans and specifications to determine the overall estimated cost of a project in the pre-construction phase. This role will also assist the project team with coordination of budgeting and costing during all phases of excavation, shoring and site preparation projects.
Some highlights of the role are listed below:
- Produces quantity take-offs to determine labour, equipment and, materials needed to complete the project per contract specifications, ensuring accuracy of pricing
- Analyzes plans, specifications, proposals, and other documentation to assess overall project scope, timelines, requirements and associated risk
- Monitors addenda for alterations of terms and scope
- Compiles and analyzes cost data including reviewing historical data
- Consults with subcontractors, suppliers and other stakeholders regarding invitations, pricing, addenda, schedules, tender/bid closings; reviews bid/tender documents, assesses potential risk and resolves potential issues
- Assists with the schedule (with milestones) on which the estimate is based, with input from the project team and the relevant subcontractors and suppliers
- Assists with the preparation of lump sum, unit based and cost plus estimates for projects, and presents/or supports the presentation of estimate proposals
- Assists in the preparation of the final tender documents for submission
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and abilities to excel in this role:
- Ability to focus on the task, ask questions, join the dots and a desire to understand the big picture and get the details right
- Willingness to learn from the experts and understand that hard work, time and being solution focused are what it takes to move up the ladder
- Fastidious about the details and deadlines
- Strong computer background including experience with MS Office and estimating software (Solidworks, AutoCAD, Revit, Trimble Business Centre, HeavyBid, Bid2Win, etc)
- Experience in construction cost estimating, costs and budgets, development of a project schedule
- Completion of a diploma or degree in a construction or general construction knowledge.
Join our Team!
If you wish to apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting Junior Estimator in the subject line. We thank you for your interest, however, only selected candidates will be contacted.